Today, Jan. 3, the new members of the U.S. House of Representatives will be sworn in. The first bill to be introduced will be HR1, dealing with some of the fundamental issues vital to maintaining government of, by, and for the people.
It features such measures as
- Automatic voter registration
- Same-day registration
- Restoring the Voting Rights Act
- Protecting against improper purging of voter roles
- Requiring states to upgrade and secure election systems
- Providing adequate early voting opportunities
- Preventing partisan gerrymandering
- Initiating the process to overturn Citizens United
- Requiring full disclosure of political spending
- Ending cooperation between candidates and super PACs
- Empowering the FEC to truly enforce campaign finance law
- Writing the Office of Congressional Ethics into law
- Stopping Members of Congress from serving on corporate boards
It’s hard to see how anyone who supports democratic government can object to any of these things. They should not be partisan issues. Both major parties benefit unethically through gerrymandering, secret financial donations, “legal” conflicts of interest, and voter suppression.
More and more people seem to be feeling that our country is being taken from us and instead run by big corporations, big banks, international financiers, and the politicians they buy. The measures proposed in this law have the potential to go a long way toward restoring the power in our government to us, the people.
Please contact your Representative in the House of Representatives in D.C. to encourage her or him to vote in favor of HR1. Personal visits to their offices are probably the strongest way to register your support, but most of us don’t really have that option. Phone calls are a close second, and personal letters and emails are also valuable.
Your Representative doesn’t know what you care about unless you tell him or her, and it doesn’t take a whole lot of calls or emails to get his or her attention. A whole bunch of them makes a very strong impression. They need your vote, and they’ll listen to you.
Please contact her or him ASAP.
In Ayer, our Representative is Lori Trahan. She can be reached at (202) 225-3411. As of 12pm on Jan. 3, her Voicemail is not set up.
If you are located outside of US Congressional District 3, you may phone the United States Capitol switchboard at (202) 224-3121.